Monday, September 21, 2009

Two of my most memorable math teachers

Mr. Andrews started Math 11 by insulting the fellow who was sitting beside me and me by saying, with his hand covering his mouth, to another Math teacher Mr. Eisen, “Don’t these two in the front rows look like real winners”. Little did he know that the other fellow Chris and I would go on to complete Math 11 and Math 12 in the same year? This allowed us to leave his Math class two and a half months later and go on to do Math 12.
Mr. Andrews made so many mistakes that it was a pleasure to get out of his class into Mr. Norman-Martin’s Math 12 class. Needless to say Mr. Norman-Martin knew his math and produced two “A” students that went on to do first year university math in grade 12.
It is important as a teacher to never underestimate the learning skills of a student. Always show respect for any student should you want respect back in turn. The attitude difference in these two teachers was enormous. Mr Norman-Martin was inspiring; I hope that I can give my students that feeling when I start teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment