Friday, October 2, 2009

Baker at Best is Best

I never thought that I would be writing to you ten years after having helped me through Math 11, but a dream of mine has come true and I wanted to say thank you.

You were relentless in helping me to solve why mathematics seemed so difficult to me and yet you discovered the many bits and pieces that I did not understand and made the pieces fit together like a jigsaw puzzle to create a whole understanding that stayed with me throughout the rest of my schooling.

Think and you will solve, stuck in my mind and your constant questioning how things worked and were there other ways to get to the other side of a problem, kept popping up in my mind these past years as I continued my educational journey.

The day has come where I would like to share the joy of this day with you and invite you to be there with me when I graduate with my PhD. Thank you for believing that I could do math by thinking through the challenges and getting to the other side of every problem, you were the greatest math teacher that I ever had!


Today I have to write to you to tell you how much work you have made me do these past ten years, checking and double checking recalling the relationships, functions, sines, and cosines. Making me work hard at those logarithms and exponents and drawing those endless graphs that you found meanings in and your making me try to visualize. Today all those boring details that I hated in grade 11 that made me hate you so, have helped me to land the first manned mission on Mars.

Students may love you or hate you for making them work hard and set their standards of achievement high, but later in life they will see that it will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment